14.1.14

Shrimp and Mussels in a Spicy Clam Sauce

SHRIMP & MUSSELS W. SPICY CLAM SAUCE

What I was in the mood for last night was Shrimp Fra Diavolo. While I was at the meat market I noticed that Shrimp and Mussels were on sale. So I said why not make a take on it myself. So this is my version of this classic Italian dish with a Southern girl spin....

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:


1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 pound of PEI mussels
2 sprigs of thyme
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand
1 small can of tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 sprigs oregano, leaves stripped and roughly chop
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon of parsley flakes
1 teaspoon of basil
2 cans of Progresso red clam sauce
1 can of white clam sauce
12 ounces bucatini or linguine
Handful of parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:

In a medium sauce pan, heat up the evoo and add your garlic. Saute until soft.
Pour in your wine, crushed tomatoes, clam sauce, tomato paste and herbs.
Simmer on low for about 45 min to an hour.
Throw in your seafood.
Cook on medium for about 15 min. Make sure to discard any mussels that don't open during cooking.
Last 5 minutes stir in a handful of parmesan cheese.
Serve over your choice of pasta. I went with linguini.
I love all things Italian. So this dish hit home last night. I made enough for a few days (because I only cooked for me!! Lol) Adjust portions by half if you don't want as much for leftovers.
Hope you try this dish out. If you do, make sure you let me know what you think.
Best Dishes everyone.
I plated with a few small croissants.  Nothing fancy in the plating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye