13.1.14

Miami Style Bahamian Conch Salad


CONCH SALAD
I'm not surprised that everyone doesn't know what conch is. Even though I didnt grow up in the Bahamas, I did grow up in Miami where conch is abundant, expensive, and very popular.
So to give a little background on the dish. It is a bahamian dish. It consists of a raw shellfish called conch, some vegetables, and a lemon/lime dressing that sort of cooks the shellfish..
I did not take pictures of the complete process meaning step by step.  But I will make sure I do that going forward.
Warning: in no recipe do I do exact measurements so I state the approximation of what I believe I used... 

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:


1 1/2 pound of conch cleaned and tenderized (I tenderize mine with a mallot)
2 tomatoes
2 cucumbers
1 red onion (optional because I'm not a fan of onions)
2 oranges (the juice)
3 lemons (the juice)
3 limes (the juice)
1 can of Clamato
Parsley and cilantro (fresh)
Hot sauce (depends on how spicy you like it)
2 tspns of seasoned salt
3 tspns of cracked black pepper
1 half of a jalapeño pepper deveined and chopped small

DIRECTIONS:


Chop your onions, jalapeño,tomatoe, and cucumber and mix.
Chop your tenderized conch in 1 inch cubes or pieces. Season it with salt and pepper.
Mix conch with vegetables and parsley and cilantro.
Add the juice of lemons, limes and oranges. Add can of clamato. Add seasonings and add hot sauce to taste.
Mix everything together. Check spices and make sure they're to your liking. Adjust if necessary.
Refrigerate for 2 hrs.
Serve cold....
I usually eat mine in a bowl but if you want to present it beautifully, serve on a bed of iceberg lettuce.
Voila!!!!

12 comments:

  1. This is not Bahamian at all I was born and raised in the Bahamas and never saw conch salad made with tomato sauce, hot sauce , Clamato, and jalapeños.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. If you read the post it says that its a combination of both. Elements from both places. Recipes are subjective. They don't have to be done a certain way. I make it exactly how I like it. And you can make yours how you like it.

      Delete
  2. This is NOT Bahamian conch salad. I don’t know what this is... But it’s most definitely NOT Bahamian conch salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was wondering why you labeled it the way you did? Why not just call it Miami Conch salad if that's what it is? Only four of the ingredients you listed are actually in Bahamian conch salad and the meat is never tenderized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I labeled it what I wanted to label it as.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe but y'all need shut up and let people make it how they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🙌🏾🙌🏾🙌🏾 thank you ❤

      Delete
    2. Exactly Dam She said what she said. Tf I read it and clearly understand exactly what she meant.. conch salad originated from the Bahamas but she's giving it her Miami twist

      Delete
    3. People like to act dense sometimes. But I'm gonna still make it how I want it vs how they want me to lol

      Delete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye