23.1.15

Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Maple Glaze





Sour Cream Coffee


Happy Friday Lovies!
I hope everyone has had a beautiful week! 
Last weekend (Sunday bake day) I wanted to try something different with Sour Cream. So I looked up a recipe for Sour Cream Cakes and found one on FoodNetwork.com. So I took that recipe and adjusted it to my to my liking and this is what happened.

I swear my man ate the whole thing by Monday! He loved it. I think it was the glaze but he said it was an amazing cake.

NOTES: This is not an easy cake. Make sure you watch it because depending on your oven, it may take less time than what's on the recipe. Also because of it's moistness, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE OUT OF PAN BEFORE IT IS COOL! I would say let it cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from pan and glazing.


Now let's get into the recipe

What You'll Need:

  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter (room temp)
  • 3 extra-large eggs at (room temp)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups sour cream
  • 2 1/2 cups cake flour ( I make my own. Will list how below)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract

For the streusel:
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts and pecans, (optional but necessary in my opinion)

For the glaze:
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter (salted)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch pan.

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl until light. Add in eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla, almond extract and sour cream.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined (on slow speed if you're using an electric mixer).
Finish stirring with a spatula to be sure the batter is completely mixed.

For the streusel, place the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and butter in a bowl and pinch together with your fingers until it forms a crumble. Mix in the walnuts and pecans (I chop them very fine), if desired.

Spoon HALF the batter into the pan and spread it out with a knife. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup streusel. Spoon the rest of the batter in the pan, spread it out, and scatter the remaining streusel on top.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. (make sure you watch the cake, check every 10 minutes or so)

Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Carefully transfer the cake, streusel side up, onto a serving plate.

Mix glaze together and drizzle as much as you like over the cake with a fork, spoon, or piping bag.


This cake takes time but it is super delicious!

My first one fell apart because I removed it from the pan to early. But I made another one and it came out GREAT!


Until NEXT TIME!
Happy Cooking and Best Dishes to you all

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye